Monday, March 1, 2010

Filling My Cup

This morning I filled my own cup. Actually, I filled it several times with about 5 different kinds of tea starting with Pomegranete Zinger to Peppermint Lane (the last bag, boohoo). More importantly my emotional/spiritual cup was filled because I was able to sit in a circle and soak up the wisdom of 10 of the most humble and powerful women I've ever met. These are women who brave the pressures of conformity to risk their freedom and their sanity to give of themselves, their knowledge, their time, and often their sleep to serve women and families in our community. They bring food, education and stories to my home every other month which fulfills the requirements of our licenses and certificates, and more importantly fulfills the needs in our souls and hearts to connect with others who are one in purpose. We listen, cry, laugh and sit enraptured as stories unfold before us.
I worked as a midwife for 10 years before I felt like I could call myself one and compared to some of these women, I still feel inexperienced. I realize now though that as with any other discipline in life, learning is forever. I am excited knowing that there is still more to know, and maybe in starting this blog, I have found a way to express to you why this job keeps calling to me. I have never felt as honored and humbled as I have when any one of these women tells me that I made a good choice or asks me for my opinion. They are modern day heroines and I am blessed to sit in their circle.
My hope for all women everywhere is that you will meditate/pray/listen to the inner callings in your hearts and that you will have the courage to go where they call you. Remember that courage is not the absence of fear, but it is doing it anyway even though you are fearful.
With a happy, heart full of joy in this day, because your hopes and dreams matter.

1 comment:

  1. It is so nice to have such uplifting things to read. Today was especially long and hard, Jasmin was not feeling well and with the exception of her name cried all day. On days like this I wonder why I have I done this to myself but then to read such sweet words really brings a sense of purpose back to me and a desire to be better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete