Sunday, February 28, 2010

One New Face

A baby girl was born yesterday and as I heard her first cry, I watched her mama wrap her up in her arms and tell her that "everything's going to be all right". As I watched the miracle unfold once again I paused and gave thanks that one more time, it worked. In that moment, I heard my own mother's voice in my head saying to me 'you're ok, and it's going to be all right". The words are so simple. Not earth shattering or mentally stimulating, yet they can make the world seem sweet and safe and right again. We women have so much power within us. The words we speak to our children are so important. They hear everything and when they are too little to understand the exact words, they understand the emotion. When that mama told her baby that everything's going to be all right, she might not have known it but she was also speaking to herself, telling herself that she was ok too. Just for today, try speaking words out loud that remind your own hearts that everything's going to be all right. You will find that anyone with in the sound of your words will feel better, your heart will feel a little lighter and the smile-o-meter will jump to full. Just try it. It works.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks I needed to hear it will all be ok, and that I should talk to my children in a sweet voice. I started my period yesterday and I've been "speaking my mind" and snapping at my kids. Thanks for the reminder mom. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on mom, I am waiting for another post.

    ReplyDelete